Camping in the summer months is a terrific way to spend your time. With the fresh air, the warm sun, and the cool breeze, you can really relax. But what if it becomes a bit uncomfortable. While we can't remove the sun from your campsite or keep the bugs away, we can definitely help with the heat problem. With our high quality air conditioners, you can stay comfortable throughout your trip. But what if you want more? What if you want to be able to keep your rig warmer in the winter? Or what if you want an air conditioner but don't want to deal with a loud noise or huge amp draw when you turn it on? Well, with this AC unit, you can have exactly that. With this model, you get an RV air conditioning unit that has a heat strip as well, can operate at fewer amps, has less noise associated with its operation, and still has excellent temperature quality.
The ducted version of this model is in most ways the same as the non-ducted version. The outdoor unit measures 26 3/4" wide by 39 5/16" long by 13 11/16" high and the inner plenum unit measures 21 1/8" wide by 21 15/16" long by 1 11/16" high. This is a direct replacement for a 14" by 14" fan, which means that it is able to fit in the same space without making other adjustments. Available in black and white, this unit is ducted. It comes with removable screen filters that can be cleaned and replaced, which helps keep the unit working well for longer. The included remote control lets you control functions such as cooling, dehumidifying, sleep, and timing functions. The ultra low plenum design is also great, as it is sleek and streamlined. The functions can be displayed on both the remote and the plenum display. The chassis and canopy are made of a lightweight UV stabilized polypropylene material that helps it to withstand tough conditions. The low decibel readings mean you can enjoy your quiet time without fighting over the noise of your AC unit. This unit should be installed on a roof between 3" and 5 5/16" thick and is best installed on a flat roof.
Why choose this model? Well, the answers are simple and numerous.
- This isn't just a cheap rooftop AC unit. Unlike other models that are made of cheap plastic that has been molded to shape around the unit, these are made from high-quality, tough plastic built to withstand what life throws at it. In warmer climates, other models of air conditioning units can melt from the heat. Not this one. Built tough and built durable, this AC unit will last you through a good many adventures.
- The remote that is included with the model allows you to control the temperature and settings of the unit from the comfort of your couch. Are you worried that you'll lose it? We've thought of that, too. Along with the remote is a wall carrier for the remote. Simply place it in an easy to reach location and rest the remote in it. The digital display on the inner plenum unit of the air conditioner allows you to control it without the remote as well, just in case you really do lose the remote.
- There are many amazing features on this RV AC unit, however, one of the best ones is the dehumidifying feature. Helping you control the amount of humidity that's inside of your RV, this air conditioning unit doesn't just keep you cool.
- The second amazing feature to pay attention to is the temperature monitoring system. If you like to leave the AC unit on while you sleep, you can often wake up to a freezing room. Because our bodies are naturally cooler when we sleep, leaving on the air conditioner can make your morning feel like ice. To prevent this, the air conditioning unit has a temperature monitoring system that senses the temperature of the surrounding air and adjusts to accommodate whatever temperature you've set it to, keeping you comfortable even through the night.
- Most RV air conditioning units blow the air from the top unit through the space between them and out of the bottom unit without a tube to control the air. With the air moving around in the space between, it loses some of the temperature quality and cleanliness. With the directional tube in this model, the airflow is controlled to provide optimal temperature quality and cleanliness.
- The low amp draw on this model enables it to not only keep your energy use lower than other models, but it allows you to use more than just the AC unit at one time. For other models that have a higher amp draw, you have to think about how many appliances are on that circuit, as the circuit breaker can only handle so much. With the low amp draw of this model, however, you have more room for other appliances. Saving you power and frustration, it's definitely the best model for energy efficiency.
- Because of the directional air tube, the high-quality design, and the efficient cooling and temperature control system, this AC unit produces air that is of very high quality. Temperature and humidity-controlled for your desired environment, you can feel the difference with this model.
- Perhaps the most important feature of this air conditioning unit is the noise level. Many of the models that come with your RV are loud and a bit obnoxious. Even those that you replace it with can be loud enough for you to notice it. This model, however, only produces 59.7 decibels of sound when on high. For reference, that's about as loud as a gentle rain; not loud at all. With this low sound level, you can relax in your RV, have a conversation, or watch your movie, all without competing with the AC unit.
|Houghton||Competitor A||Competitor B
|Approx. Full-Load Amps/Cooling||14A||15.3A||15.9A|
|Cubic Feet Per Minute||375||320||387|
|dB Indoor High Speed||59.7 db||67 db||70.4 db|
|dB Indoor Low Speed||55.4 db||59 db||61.1 db|
This model is powerful and efficient. That doesn't mean that you can't do a few things to improve its performance even further, though. Make sure to close all doors and windows, just like you would in your stationary home. This will conserve energy and allow the AC unit to cool your rig down faster. Close the curtains and open the awning to keep the heat of the sun from warming up your rig. It's also a good idea to cook outside whenever possible, so that you don't end up heating your rig back up. While this next tip might not work for everyone, it's a good idea to turn off any unnecessary appliances so that your AC has more power available for use. You can also adjust the temperature settings on the AC unit at the cooler points of the day so that it doesn't have to work as hard as it would if you were to turn it off completely. You can also turn the temperature control up more in the beginning of the day so that your unit doesn't have to work as hard to cool your rig. You can also use more than one AC unit or a fan to increase the circulation, assisting in lowering the temperature while improving the general air quality inside of your RV. Be aware, though, that if you are using a generator to power your temperature control system, to use a diesel source, since a propane generator is not recommended to run while driving.
Just like any other appliances, there are maintenance issues to consider. The most important part of this model is the return air filter. This part of the unit needs regular maintenance. To clean it, check the filter each week and wash it with warm water and a little detergent if it looks dirty. Make sure the filter is dry before replacing it. After the first three months, you should also check that the bolts holding the unit on are still stable. After this, these bolts should be checked once a year throughout the life of the unit. If you only use the unit occasionally, then it should be operated for about 20-30 minutes every six months.
For a powerful unit that's power-efficient and quiet, look no further than this unit. Have any questions? Contact us online or call our friendly Customer Care team today!
- Outdoor unit dimensions: 25 1/2"W x 39 1/2"L x 13 1/2"H
- Plenum (ceiling assembly) unit dimensions: 21"W x 22"L x 2 1/2"H
- Direct replacement for 14" x 14" fan
- Colors: black and white
- Come with removable screen filters that can be cleaned and replaced
- Remote control with cooling, dehumidifying, dry, sleep, and timing functions (stored inside AC unit display for protection during shipping)
- Ultra low plenum design and streamlined canopy design
- Easy to read LED display
- Easy to remove and clean air filter
- Lightweight UV stabilized polypropylene chassis and canopy able to withstand tough conditions
- Low amp draw allows for limited amps or generators in operation without addition of soft start unit
- Temperature control for rooms up to 650 square feet
- Indoor High speed: 59.7
- Indoor Low speed: 55.4
- Outdoor: 71.9
- 2-year manufacturer warranty
- Maximum roof thickness is 5 5/16"
- Minimum roof thickness is 3"
- Best installed on a flat roof - less than 5 degrees inclination
- *Do not include a wall thermostat
- *Does not work with other brand wall thermostats
- *Will not control the furnace, only the air conditioning unit
** If installed on a curved/mesa/grooved/otherwise not smooth and flat roof, you may need a frame or filler for the gaps as well as sealant. Any modifications to the AC unit itself will void the warranty **
- Power supply: 115V/60Hz
- Refrigerant charged: R410A/470g
- Rated cooling capacity: 13500BTU/H
- Input needed for cooling: 1300W
- Rated current for cooling: 12Amp
- Maximum power input: 1550W
- Maximum current: 14Amp
- Energy Efficiency Rating (EER): 8.70
- Maximum design pressure: 550PSIG
- Minimum design pressure: 236PSIG
- CFM (high speed): 375
- Installed weight: approx. 73.7 pounds
- Recommended for space up to 650 Square Feet
- Recommended wire gauge: 12 AWG or larger